The Mustard Seed

The Mustard Seed of Central Florida was established in 1984 at a time when homelessness was just beginning to emerge as a community-wide epidemic. It grew from the personal commitment of the founder, Carol Kane, who saw all homeless individuals, regardless of race, creed, or social status, simply as God’s children in need of assistance. The Mustard Seed is the only furniture and clothing bank in Central Florida.

The Mustard Seed collects donations of furniture, appliances, household items, linens and dishes, as well as anything that could make a house a home. We grant the donated items to pre-qualified families and individuals to help them re-establish a home.

The Mustard Seed is a critical resource in establishing stability and creating a home. By serving families who are suffering from domestic abuse, drug rehab recovery, homeless transition, returning veterans, medical hardships, fire , natural disasters and the economically disadvantaged.

Our Facility

The beautiful building, which houses the Mustard Seed Furniture and Clothing Bank, was built entirely by the hearts, hands and generosity of our caring community partners. We can never thank them enough for their gifts and support. By July 1999, they built a beautiful 20,000 square-foot building with separate areas to house our clothing and furniture departments, four individual air-conditioned areas to house our dish and linen rooms, housewares, as well as the administrative offices. In fall 2005, the Edyth Bush Charitable Foundation gifted The Mustard Seed with a beautiful visible sign for the warehouse to make it easier to see from Keller Road and Kennedy Boulevard.

During the 2017-2018 fiscal year, The Mustard Seed served 1,223 Central Florida families, including 1,259 children. More than 97 percent of those served are economically disadvantaged, according to the Federal Poverty Index. The other 3 percent are disaster victims whose circumstances left them without financial resources to create new futures.

The Mustard Seed has accomplished much in its 30 years of service!

With the addition of an entire recycling department, The Mustard Seed uses and re-uses every single item donated. The Mustard Seed is able to recycle the unusable items through their individual parts: metals, cardboard, sheet plastics, fabric, foam, wood and electronics.

Since 2011, The Mustard Seed’s recycling program deconstructed more than 120,753 mattresses and sold their components, diverting 2.6 million cubic feet from the landfill and protecting our environment. Our recycling efforts generate income to help fund the furniture and clothing programs.

After 30 years of service, The Mustard Seed is still growing and evolving into a non-profit for the future, one that is self-sustaining and able to adapt to the growing needs in the community.

Client Story: Jessica

Jessica said she used her life savings to purchase a home mortgage-free in 2014 for her and her then newborn son. About seven months later, Jessica’s sister and five children moved in permanently after their home burned down. On Sept. 10, 2017, Jessica’s son’s birthday, a tree fell…

Read More

Client Story: Natasha

In disbelief of the magnitude of Hurricane Dorian, Natasha stayed put in her home in Grand Bahama as the storm approached. Born and reared in the Bahamas, Natasha had never experienced a hurricane as strong as Dorian in her 40 years of living there and couldn’t bear to leave her home. Shock en…

Read More

Client Story: Sunny

Sunny, 31, had just moved to Kissimmee from Philadelphia three months before a fire destroyed his apartment at Blossom Park Villas. He lived with his fiancé, Lianah, who was studying law in college. The couple had just bought new furniture and housewares for the new apartment. Lianah’s father, Da…

Read More

Latest News

Shop for a Cause at UNOde50! – October 19, 2019

October 14, 2019

Join us Saturday, Oct. 19, 2019 from 4 p.m. – 6 p.m., at UNOde50 at Disney Springs for a shopping event to raise money for The Mustard Seed of Central Florida! View UNOde50’s latest collections of unique and beautiful jewelry while enjoying light refreshments. A portion of the proceeds from each pur… read more

Winn-Dixie Community Bag Program- The entire month of November!

October 14, 2019

For the month of November, each time a $2.50 reusable Community Bag is purchased at the Winn-Dixie store located at 340 S. SR 434 in Altamonte Springs, $1 will be donated to The Mustard Seed of Central Florida, unless otherwise directed by the customer through the Giving Tag. This is a great way to … read more